Archive for April 2nd, 2005 | Daily archive page

Merpati adds flights to Nias

Saturday, April 2nd, 2005

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

JAKARTA: To assist relief work on earthquake-devastated Nias island, Merpati Nusantara Airlines has added two additional flights each day between Medan and Gunung Sitoli and Sibolga.

The extra flights will be effective until April 9, using locally produced CN-235 aircraft.

"We are flying more frequently to the disaster-stricken area to transport logistics, relief workers and relatives of quake victims," Merpati corporate secretary Jaka Pujiyono said in a press release.

He added that fares for flights to Nias would not be increased.

The March 28 earthquake caused Merpati to suspend services to Nias for four days. — JP

Nias quake victims in dire need of food

Saturday, April 2nd, 2005

Saturday, April 02, 2005 Apriadi Gunawan, The Jakarta Post/Nias

It has been four days since earthquake refugee Nujila Zendato and her five children have eaten a proper meal, because food has not been handed out to her and other displaced people.

That is what prompted her to storm on Friday the disaster control center in Gunung Sitoli here and scream for food.

"We want rice! We haven't eaten for four days, we're all hungry!" screamed the mother to Nias administration secretary FGM Zebua.

Her demand was to no avail, though, as Zebua could not be sure when the food relief would be delivered to the refugees.

"Be patient, ma'am.. the food is on the way here from Sibolga (North Sumatra). We'll give it to all of the refugees," Zebua said.

He said the rice supply here before the earthquake was only around 50 tons, and that had already been distributed to several districts. They are now waiting, Zebua said, for the relief distributed by the Ministry of Social Services, which was still apparently held up in Sibolga regency.

Hearing that information only angered Nujila further because, as she claims, very few, if any refugees in Nias have been given rice.

"There's no way that 50 tons were distributed. Many refugees are still hungry. We've been surviving on bananas only," said Nujila, who works as a farmer in Lalai village, Hiliduo district.

Along with her husband and their five children, she moved to the mountainous area above Gunung Sitoli, after Monday's earthquake destroyed their house. All of her family members survived the temblor.

Data from the disaster control center shows that there are 20,000 refugees out of a total of over 422,000 in Nias regency. That does not, however, include the refugees in South Nias regency, which has population of around 300,000 people.

The refugees are living in terrible conditions, and most complain of weakness and fainting spells due to a lack of rice. Some have scoured around destroyed houses to find instant noodles and other items.

Ridwan Koto, who is staying at a shelter for the West Sumatran ethnic group at Gunung Sitoli elementary school with about 100 displaced people, says he feels fortunate if he can eat instant noodles and share with other refugees.

"My house was not badly destroyed, so there was some food left. Anything edible, we eat together. We'd die of starvation if we had to rely on the government to distribute food," said Ridwan, who lost two siblings in the earthquake.

Another West Sumatran refugee Hasmaini Sikupang, 41, said he was sick, tired and embarrassed to look for handouts everywhere, but even when he did, he could find nothing.

"It's either finished or has not arrived yet. I'm so confused. We hope the government gives us some food soon," said Hasmaini, who has been teaching at SMP 1 junior high school for 16 years.

Aside from rice, he said the refugees were hoping for clean water facilities. Water has become scarce, to the point that most people have to walk over two kilometers up a hill in order to bathe.

Meanwhile, Minister of Social Services Bachtiar Chamsyah said in his visit here that the trouble with the aid distribution was related to transportation problems as roads and the runway at the local airport had been badly damaged.

"There are around 365 tons of rice on the way to Nias and South Nias. This stock should be sufficient for the refugees for the next few months," Bachtiar said.

South Korea sends medical team for Nias victims

Saturday, April 2nd, 2005

Saturday, April 02, 2005 The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

South Korea — which actively participated in relief operations in tsunami-hit Aceh — sent its condolences to earthquake victims on Nias and Sumeulue islands and dispatched a medical team, the South Korean Embassy in Jakarta announced on Friday.

The 8.7-magnitude quake struck the islands late Monday and claimed hundreds of lives.

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun and foreign minister Ban Ki-moon sent on Tuesday their condolences to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and foreign minister Hassan Wirayuda respectively.

"On behalf of the people and the government of the Republic of Korea, I would like to offer my deepest sympathy and condolences to you and to the victims and their families," Roh said in his message, a copy of which was made available to The Jakarta Post by the Korean Embassy.

"On behalf of the Korean people and on my behalf, I would like to extend my deepest condolences to you and to the victims of the disaster," Ban said in his message.

The embassy's press and culture attach‚, Kim Sang-sool, told the Post that the Korean Food for the Hungry International (KFHI) dispatched on Thursday a 11-member medical team from Korea to Nias.

A Korean non-governmental organization, Good Neighbors, has already sent a five-member team to the quake-hit area.

Kim also said his government and the Indonesian government were discussing relief funds and materials to be sent to Nias.